Have you ever had a case of bad breath that won’t go away, no matter how much you brush your teeth? Well, contradictory to what many people believe, bad breath doesn’t always originate in the mouth. Yes, you read that right! The source of halitosis (another name for bad breath) might actually be in your stomach. So, what causes the unpleasant odor in your mouth? Learn that and how to eliminate bad breath from your stomach in this blog!
What Causes Bad Breath from Stomach?
Here are some causes of bad breath from your stomach:
- Acid Reflux or GERD
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO)
- Liver Disease
- Stomach Ulcers
- Bowel Obstruction
- Kidney Disease
Ways to Eliminate Bad Breath From the Stomach
You should visit your GI specialist if you suspect your bad breath indicates an underlying stomach condition. They will assess your condition and proceed with adequate treatment to reduce the symptoms. In the meantime, you can try the following ways to eliminate bad breath from your stomach:
- Stay Hydrated: Hydration can have a significant impact on your digestion and help ease your condition. Drink lots of water to make the most of the benefits it offers. If you stay hydrated, it will help in saliva production, absorption of nutrients, bowel movements, kidney function, and diluting toxins your body produces. Moreover, water also dilutes stomach acids. All in all, staying hydrated prevents the onset of bad breath from the stomach.
- Refrain from Consuming Trigger Foods: You can ensure bad breath stays miles away by avoiding trigger foods if you struggle with gut health. It is important to be mindful of what you consume for the sake of your stomach conditions. If you suffer from indigestion and constipation, avoid fried foods, carbonated drinks, caffeine, alcohol, citrus foods, and other trigger foods. This prevents the issues from acting up, eliminating bad breath from the stomach.
- Stay Active: Nowadays, our work life has us sitting most of the day, which is not good for our overall health. This is why it is important to stay active, which improves metabolism and decreases constipation. By doing so, you eliminate the chances of bad breath from the stomach.
- Opt for an Alcohol-Free Mouthwash: You can instantly mask your bad breath with the help of mouthwash, but make sure you use one with no alcohol. This is because alcohol can dry your mouth, which is not good. So, you can temporarily eliminate bad breath from your stomach by carrying a bottle of mouthwash with you at all times!
- Use Probiotics: Your gut health can benefit a lot from probiotics, which are living microorganisms. They might show improvement in the symptoms that GERD brings forth. You can ask your doctor if this is a suitable treatment for you. This way, you can eliminate bad breath from your stomach as well!
You can eliminate bad breath from your stomach by staying hydrated, working out, using an alcohol-free mouthwash, consuming probiotics, and other ways. Ask your GI specialist how to tackle your condition and reduce the unpleasant odor in your mouth.